Monday, August 25, 2014

The Lyres - Don't Give It Up Now


The Lyres hailed from Boston, Massachusetts and were fronted by organist and singer Jeff Conolly. Ricky Carmel, Rick Coraccio and Paul Murphy rounded out the bean town garage band.

We feature today the Flip-Side of their 1979 single, Don't Give It Up Now as released on Sounds Interesting Records. The damn rockin' Don't Give It Up Now was penned by Conolly and shows a very clear tip of the hat to Boston's own garage heroes, The Remains. I just can't get enough of this foot stomper.

Until next time, we'll see you On The Flip-Side!

9 comments:

  1. Cant believe this was released in 1979!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fine line between punk rock and 60s styled garage rock. Very fine line.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I though you might like this. Did you see the Sidewalk Sounds post from a few days back?

      Delete
    2. Yeah sure, but I was too lazy to say somethin'. It's a curb-job anyway ;-)

      Delete
  3. This song was later done by Question Mark and the Mysterians.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw The Lyres and ? and the Mysterians on the same bill at Cavestomp '97. Saw The Remains and The Fleshtones the following year. Personally, I just don't get all the fuss attending The Remains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't speak to the Remains concert as I wasn't there, but they were, in their brief little prime, a real shining hope for American Rock-n-Roll. One of my fave of the generation.

      Thanks for stopping by Jay, I hope we see and hear more from you on this blog.

      Delete